Are you a lover of the ocean and share a passion for photography? Are you constantly in awe of the incredible underwater images that feature on social media and inspirational travel magazines? Perhaps you are a proficient photographer or you already have some experience in underwater photography and are looking to refine your skills in a freediving environment?
If so, this Underwater Photography course is exactly what you are looking for!
With some of Australia’s and NSW’s most amazing marine ecosystems right at our doorstep and underwater cameras becoming widely accessible to the general public, we want to create opportunities for people to learn the skills and techniques required to master the art form of Underwater Photography.
Join Olympus photographer, Matt Horspool and Freediving Central on Sydney’s first underwater photography workshop dedicated to immersing you in a small group, hands-on, with individualised instruction and practice across a variety of underwater environments.
The workshop includes learning how to set up your camera so you’ll never miss a shot, how the light acts differently below the surface, you’ll practice different camera techniques for different underwater scenarios, experiment with creative compositions, how to work with models and photograph a variety of marine life. The day will end with hot chocolates and learning all the details on post-processing our images.
These courses are strictly limited to smaller group sizes to ensure there is more time for individual guidance and support. Scroll further to see the pre-requisites for this workshop and contact us to book your spot!
Pre-requisites for the Underwater Photography Workshop*
*Please note if you do not have all of the below you may still be able to join the Underwater Photography Workshop, however the below experience is preferred. We will be hiring out Olympus Camera’s for a fee that can be used for these workshops if required.
To join our Underwater Photography Workshop you are required to have completed at least your Molchanovs Wave 1 or equivalent certification.
Recommended Photography Skills
- Amateur/semi proficient photographer on land
- Sound experience with either a compact, DSLR, or mirrorless camera (GoPro users please get in touch to discuss)
- Some experience and/or knowledge of semi-automatic/manual camera modes
- Some experience and/or knowledge of the exposure triangle
- Some experience and/or knowledge of different focusing modes e.g. continuous + single
- Camera with the ability to shoot semi-automatic modes e.g. Aperture priority (Av) + Shutter Priority (S)
- RAW shooting capabilities
- Dedicated underwater housing e.g Nauticam, Olympus, Seafrogs etc. Full dive housings are preferable over surf housings, but not a requirement (GoPro users please get in touch to discuss)
- Minimum 32GB SD card + backup. Make sure you take everything off the card as we will be formatting it before we begin.
- Minimum 1 full charged battery + spare(s)
- 1-2 small moisture trapping silica gel bags or tabs to put inside your housing. These prevent fog.
Post Production Requirements
- Laptop/tablet with Adobe Lightroom or equivalent photo editing software. Note: There are some brilliant free versions of software out there that will allow you to do basic colour grading. For those looking to stylise their shots and get the most out of their images, you will require software that contains one or more of these features – Clarity, Dehaze, Tone curves, HSL colour sliders/wheels, Noise reduction, sharpening, radial and line gradients.
- SD card reader/dongle
- Laptop/tablet charger
- USB stick to share images between each other